Monday, August 16, 2010

EARS OF THE NATION



SETTING: The Oval Office, Midnight. Early spring.

AT RISE: We see PRESIDENT SMITH pacing around

his office. DAVID TAYLOR, his senior

advisor is sitting quietly. After a

moment, he opens his briefcase and places

a small zip-lock bag on the end table.

TAYLOR
I didn't want to show you this but you've forced my hand.

SMITH
What is that?

TAYLOR
Another dead bat. Yet, another...we're losing them by the gross. At this point we don't know how long they'll last. The mosquitoes are already on the rise, Sir.

SMITH
...One blood sucker for another, Damn. I just don't understand it!

TAYLOR
DAMMIT Mr. President, I've told you! The emissions! This is the result of your decision make alternative fuel with okra instead of--

SMITH
Don't you say it--

TAYLOR
Corn...Corn, Mr. President. It's the only way. Now, I suggest you call Nebraska before it's too late.

SMITH
I can't. I won't. There has to be something else.

TAYLOR
Why can't we use the corn sir?

SMITH
BECAUSE IT'S DELICIOUS! (Pause) It's precious, and as Americans we can't afford to waste it.

TAYLOR
(Pause, deep sigh, rubs face.) They're may be one way. But it's risky and I don't think you'll like it.

SMITH
What, please god, anything. Just don't take my corn. Not for fuel. Anything.

TAYLOR
They call it Churnolium... It's new, but it works. Only it's made of butter sir. We'd need it all, too.

SMITH
(Drops to his knees) NOOOOO!


CURTAIN

No comments: