Thursday, February 21, 2008

Another (not so) Wild Ride!

So here are my muses for today: A Fake mustache, Prospect Park, Ionesco's The Hermit

Yes, the day has finally come...I, Dylan Jackson, have given in and decided to take up a blog.
"Oh No! Not Him too!" You might be saying to yourself. But it's true, and so now begins another banal glimpse into the mind of another young American. With that being said though; I think that is important to disclose that this page is exactly that and little more. "But what can we learn from that and why should I care?" you may be asking yourself. Well, the answer is simple: this page will serve to inform you about just what level I'm stooping to for inspiration in life (i.e.- cockamamie schemes, dreams, plans, and so forth), new situations and/or developments that --who knows-- may end up effecting you in some way too!

But let me back up a bit, after all this is a first blog, and requires a brief introduction to who I am, what I'm doing, and why I feel that this platform is the least bit pertinent to positive development. So here's that in a paragraph.

I am a twenty-four year old from Little Rock, Arkansas who lives in Brooklyn and writes plays. For as long as I can remember, this has always seemed to me to be what I wanted to do. Now, if one doesn't know all the details, the above statement may carry a tone of triumph; but once again that's only if you don't know all the details. The facts are these: I am passionate about the work that I have chosen-- erg 'been called'-- to do; I have no intention of giving up on my life's-work; I try not to complain much because I do realize that very few people can make those statements at this age; sometimes the ridiculousness of having made up your mind early can wear on you. It's this frustration which eats at me lately. The frustration of constantly repeating to people that you know who you are, and what you're doing, all for the purpose of trying to sell yourself and your work. I have for many years prided myself with the notion that writers and artists must remain true to the notions of self-awareness and maintain a high level of integrity, but then comes the sad truth that here (in New York) in my chosen profession (playwright) it doesn't matter what you have to say or how you shape it. It's about whether or not people can make money off of your work...But then again, we all have bills to pay, so there's no use in getting bent out of shape about it. I am who I am, and hope to be as lucky in ten years as I am now.

My intention for this blog is ultimately tinged with undertones of self-help and discovery (hopefully with lots of jokes). A 'Chicken Soup For My Soul' kind of thing. Don't get me wrong, I would like to stress that I have no intention of using this as a forum for bitching about how hard life is or anything like that, rather this is a distraction. A much needed distraction for friends and family that I wish I was better about making time for, for myself, and any unwitting reader who happened to google the term 'musefinder' because they are trying to find something.

And so now begs the question of what to do with this window of opportunity to the world. Well we'll just have to see if this is going to be something that's worth doing. If it is then I hope to do it well and make somebody think about something that they might not have thought about before. It is a work for the humanities, and oh yes, the thing that your life has been missing for so long.

Feedback is always welcome.

No comments: